This remembrance is always observed on September 11. I doubt anyone will ever forget where they were on the morning of September 11, 2001, when they heard of the attacks on the twin World Trade Towers in NYC and the Pentagon in Washington. This horrible and tragic day is etched forever in our memories. Like the attack on Pearl Harbor that brought us into World War II, the 911 attacks led us into a new war… the war on terrorism. It also touched and changed forever, the lives of each and every American.
On the anniversary of 911, we encourage you to spend a few minutes reflecting upon this event, and praying for the victims who died, and their families and friends.
- On the morning of September 11, 2001, nineteen Islamic al-Qaeda militants hijacked four planes. The hijackings occurred from Boston, Newark and Washington airports. The planes selected were long distance flights, which would have more fuel in the tanks.
- One plane each hit the north and south towers of the World Trade Center in New York city. The planes and engulfing firestorm, ultimately brought down both towers.
- A number of other buildings were also damaged or destroyed. Most notably was the Marriott hotel, which was also destroyed.
- A third plane hit the Pentagon in Washington, DC.
- The fourth hijacked plane ultimately crashed in a field in Shanksville, PA. Passengers on the plane learned of the fate of the other planes, and unsuccessfully attempted to take back control of the plane from the suicidal the hijackers. Everyone aboard died.
- In total, thousands were killed.
Total Victim: 2977
Victims in the towers: 2606
Pentagon victims: 125
4th plane, crashed in PA: 40
# Militants: 19
Deaths included Americans and citizens from many other countries
May God Bless America
#NEVERFORGET #GodBlessAmerica #Elephant